Friday, September 13, 2013

Typhoons and Fried Brains


Here is the story of my week:

 

It was a fantastic week!  Like every week out in the mission, we study in the morning at the church, head back to the apartment have a quick lunch and then get out to go to work, from 1 till about 9. We try to talk to as many people as we possibly can. Our techniques include:  slamming the brakes on our bikes, waving people down, sometimes I use my size to get in a person’s way just so that they will look up from their phone for a minute so we can share our message. We get a lot of people waving us off, many saying it doesn`t relate to them, or businessmen who says they’re too busy. Do we let this ruin our day?!? NO WAY!!! We instead look for some high school kid to go talk to, because they are always way genki (enthusiastic) and want to say the three things they know in English. So basically our week was a lot of rejection and contacting. However we were able to have a lesson with a lady at her genkan (front porch) and she said that she would like to hear more, so we will be hopefully finding some time to visit her again in this coming week.

  

With this nonstop contacting, my language is improving really quickly. But, because the word order in Japanese is a little different than English, it takes a ton of brain power. For example; Jesus Christ died for our sins on the Cross. In Japanese would be Jesus Christ cross on our sins for died. Muzukashii ne? Pretty difficult, don`t you think? After 4 hours or so, my brain is just fried. To heal our fried brains we love to go to a convenie (convenient store) and grab my favorite waffle chocolate ice cream. And then get right back out into the trenches. I honestly love it, just like every other missionary! The best part, is when an investigator who has taken all the lessons for years and won`t come to church, finally comes to church. The feeling that you have is indescribable. We have an investigator that we plan to have baptized in the next two weeks, who has been taking lessons for years, and he finally came to church again yesterday. So exciting!! 
 

The wards are amazing!! They work so hard to make sure that everything is getting done. Because they all live so far from each other, the members will usually be at the church for another 3 to 4 hours after church for home teaching, and other meetings. They clean the church and take care of it really well. They have great lessons, and they have wonderful members.   I had to give another talk in church yesterday. I spoke for 10 minutes.  I had no idea what I was saying, but I was pronouncing everything very well, it was flowing off my tongue and I didn`t put anyone to sleep this time.

 




What is my language study like? I read a lot!!! I made the challenge with Fudge that I would read the Book of Mormon in Japanese while he reads through the standard works, and we'd see who finished first.  I read the Book of Mormon out loud everyday. It takes me about 10 minutes to read a page. however my reading skills are increasing, but I don`t always understand what I am reading.

 




Anyway, everything is going splendid out here in Japan. Saw a lot of rain this past week, and that is why I am sending the picture of what happens to two missionaries when they don`t wear their rain suits. 




 

Love you all,

Elder Wilcox

P.S.   Thank you to those who have taken the time to write to me.  I love the letters and hope that at some point my preparation day will lighten up, so I have time to write everyone back!

Our kitchen - yes, I know we have dishes to do!
  

 



 

 

1 comment:

  1. AMAZING pictures! Elder Wilcox sounds like he is doing fantastic! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete