Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Best Two Years FOR My Life


Konnichiwa!!!


We received our travel plans yesterday and our entire district is freaking out! We leave for Japan in 9 days and because we are going to Kobe, we are flying to Seattle then Japan, unlike those going to Fukuoka who fly to Dallas, Texas and then to Japan or the Nagoya missionaries who fly to Minnesota then travel to Japan, so we leave the latest and arrive in Japan the earliest of all the districts. Our longest plane ride from Cali to Nihon is approximately 14 hours. Honestly, the power of technology is amazing, being able to know everything within such a quick amount of time is reassuring. Also, now we get the opportunity every week to  skype someone from Japan and teach them a lesson.  They are volunteer church members from all over Japan that give us about 45 minutes of their time to let us  teach them.  The best part is, their English is impeccable, we can usually ask what something means and they will be able to translate it for us. We learned that teaching the repentance process can be very difficult because the Nihongin don't understand really that they have ever done anything wrong.





Watabe San no Baputesuma is going to be delayed because he doesn't really understand Junketsu no Rippo nor Chie no Kotoba (Law of Chastity and the Word of Wisdom). We are still working on navigating through the scriptures in hiragana and kanji. Watashi to Watashi no doryo (My doryo and I) read the morumon sho out loud and we have gotten fast, however because there is no spaces in Nihongo we are slowly learning when words stop and where to find them. We have been able to learn a little bit of Kanji but it's kind of difficult because there is so much that we have to remember and learn. Kanji helps though, because there are multiple meanings for words and different kanji to help with the distinguishing of meanings.




Kuwahara San just returned from his week-long vacation and we are getting him started back into his old habits. He loves the gospel and reads so much of the Book of Mormon, it's AWESOME!!! Every day we go to teach him, he enthusiastically invites us in and bombards us with questions. We are learning so much because he challenges our Nihongo and makes us go back and want to learn as much as we can so that we can help him in our next lesson.




The MTC stay has gone by so fast, the funny thing is because we do the same thing every week, I forget what I did the week before. However, I can always remember that I really appreciate the food, that is prepared for us and we don't have to cook it for ourselves. Although, I think I am ready to go to Japan and start cooking alot of rice and stir fry for myself for the next two years.




Of course because the mission is so spiritually uplifting everyone will say it was the best two years. But in one of our recent devotionals, in which we still walk all the way to the Marriot Center to attend, the speaker said that we may not understand it now but this will be "the best two years FOR our life" it will change us into a greater person if we are out there serving with everything we have and I plan to give the Lord everything I have so that I will be able to reap the rewards and blessings of serving the Lord on my mission. I can already see those taking place now, my intelligence level has increased and I am able to retain so much more than I ever have before in my life, I can remember all of this vocab and I have long surpassed the missionaries who have come in with a background of studying Japanese in high school. The Lord works in mysterious ways and I am grateful that I have decided to join his side. For I know the ending has already been decided and the Lord will always come out on top.




I have purchased my pay phone card and I found my cufflinks and I am sending you a picture of my travel plans. If you can be up and awake around 6:30am I will see if I can call you then. I don't know if it will be earlier or later, but please be ready, I am very excited and please beaar with me if I am slow to remember a few English words. It sometimes takes me a little while to think of the word that I want to say in English. I have received the two packages sent for my birthday and I won't be opening them until my birthday so thank you in advance. I appreciate the reminder that I still have family back at home.




I'm so happy to hear from the little guys, their letters come at the right times, when I feel burned out for the day and just don't want to learn anymore, I read one of their letters and that will usually hold me through for the rest of the day. The pictures of me and Dad and the one of mom were hilarious, I had forgotten that we had taken those. That too was also a great boost to my energy for the week. The piano music is superb I forgot how much fun it was, however recently, I have not been able to play as much as I would have like, because I am so busy with trying to tackle the language as much as I can while I still have all the tools I could ever dream of.




I’m not sure if I am going to be able to play the song in sacrament meeting. I am going to practice a little today and see where it takes me, but I am not sure if I can promise anything. I am really working on doing the Lord's work first and I am so glad that I get the opportunity to do so. I hope Riley had a blast at EFY, I would love to hear about it, what spiritual experiences he had. Who his C.O.W. was? If he liked his group or not etc... I want to hear more about Logan's and Fudge's basketball games. And of course I would love more pictures. I want to hear about how lawn mowing is going and if the car is holding up. Fudge, that is so awesome that you are taking the time to work on the car. When I worked on it, I learned so much and it's always a good thing to have more knowledge, because you never know when the Lord is going to ask you to remember that knowledge and help one of his children who are in need.




I would like to challenge you to pay more attention in church, to remember that we aren't basing our testimonies on other people but rather the wonderful example of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Remember that he said to Heavenly Father, "Here I am, send me". 1/3 of Heaven did not think that he could live the perfect life, they didn't want to rest their entire eternal lives on that of one man. They knew and understood the natural man and they were too scared to follow that plan. However we had the faith and were so excited when we got the news that Jesus Christ completed what he needed to so that we could all receive bodies and return to the presence of our Heavenly Father. Remember how much faith you had, and continue to apply that in your life. Repent everyday for the little mistakes that you have made, for that reason Jesus Christ completed the atonement process because no unclean thing can enter into the presence of God. Read the scriptures daily and never forget to pray. I have been praying so much, and the impact that it has had on my life is incredible. I feel more awake, I notice more things and the guidance from the Spirit I receive to bring investigators closer to Christ has done miracles. Watch the movie "17 Miracles" and watch the example of Levi Savage, he completely gave up his pride, knew the Lord would provide a way, and kept a smile on his face the entire time. I am trying to become like that, I want to completely lose my pride, always have a smile on my face, and when the tough times come, I plan on facing them with a prayer in my heart and a skip in my stride because I know that by keeping the commandments the Lord's hand will guide my thoughts and the ways in which I need to go.




I am so glad to hear everything is going well at home. Please send me more printed pictures in the mail of things that have gotten done. And just send me more pictures in general I love to see them and it always reminds me that I wear the name Wilcox on my badge to represent the family that has raised me into the missionary that I am today. Thank you for all you have done Mom and Dad, your wise words over the years have done miracles, you are great parents and I will hold our family title high, right next to our Savior's name. I will do my best, and I will submit my will to the will of the Father's.




Ai Shiteimasu,


Wirukasu (Wilcox) Choro 




No comments:

Post a Comment